20 Things I have learnt during my weightloss journey


There's a number of things I have found while losing weight, some unfortunately negative, some surprising and some overall, fairly positive.

Losing weight isn't considered an easy task for most, some find it a lot more challenging than others (myself included!) and I find that, at times it can be incredibly testing.

Over the past year, I've lost 27 pounds, (1st 13lbs), with 18.5 pounds (1st 4.5lb) of that being with Slimming World, I've certainly learnt a lot.

So here are 20 things I have learnt during my weightloss:

1. Temptation is everywhere...
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, temptation just calls out to you, whether its the smell of KFC (yep...), Those sweets staring at you in your local Asda or that Burger in your works canteen, it's everywhere, even on your television screens and blaring through your car radio, you can't avoid it, having the strength to resist temptation isn't just willpower, its a mixture of strength too and it's a skill that has to be mastered, because sometimes, over-indulgence is just too easy.

Source: GIPHY

 2. Not everyone will be as supportive as you hope...
 As harsh as it sounds, not everyone will show as much support as you may need/want, some may get fed up of you talking about what you've lost, what you've achieved, what you've done, but it doesn't mean they don't care, focus on you and carry on, the ones that matter and truly care about you will be the ones there when you're at your peak and achieve!

3. However, you may see support coming from the most unlikely of people...
I have connected with so many people on different levels since trying to lose weight, people that are going through similar experiences with weightloss or fitness in general, I've made new friends and acquaintences since joining slimming world because we're all going through the same journey and battling the same or similar obstacles. - These people will understand better than anyone, be there for each other!

4. The world can be a cruel place... 
The amount of times I've been subjected to abuse because  no matter how minor the comment or action, it can be damaging, do not let anyone else get you down about your achievements, loss', even gains, because they're not you and they don't know what you're putting yourself through! Keep your head held high and carry on, because at the end of the day, your success will shine out a lot brighter than their thoughtless actions and comments.

5. It can also be a great place...
The compliments and the praise I have recieved from various people have been a huge help on my self esteem and motivation, It's always a positive that people are noticing a difference.


6. Motivation is key...
 I can not stress enough that lack of motivation can mean lack of results, I mean sometimes I just can't be bothered, but even if you make yourself go to the gym when you're feeling a bit deflated, you still have a bit in you, and it's all going to be worth it, set yourself up some motivational tools, my motivation tools have varied, such as this blog, before and after progress photos, buying smaller clothes to hopefully fit into later and of course the money going out of my bank for my gym membership would be a major blow if I didn't actually use it...

source: GIPHY


7. Clothes shopping is absolute hell...
I'm not the average girly girl, I hate shopping with an absolute passion, its the devil if you ask me, but trying to find clothes that fit is an absolute pig, I find that every shop I go in, I can be a different size (sometimes a lot bigger, sometimes a lot smaller...), it can be both draining and amazing but in all honesty, I hate it, I can only hope that it's going to get better the closer I get to my target.

8. If you didn't know how to cook before... you do now!  
Don't get me wrong, I'm not the next Gordon Ramsey or anything like that but losing weight certainly makes you have to plan and think about what you're eating and you have to learn how to cook them, I would probably still say that my recipe book is probably limited to the amount of dishes that are out there, but it's given me the time to learn and try new things, it's also (probably) made me more patient in the long wrong.

9. Exercise is just as important... 
 It doesn't matter what it is, me personally I've found that I get more results when I exercise and that my figure has become more toned, plus should I have the problem with excess skin (which I'm praying to all that I won't!) - that it should tighten it back and tone it up, plus a little muscle definition never hurt right? But there's so many different ways to exercise now, there is something for everyone!

Source: GIPHY
10. Keep your inspiration fresh...
Like I said earlier, inspiration is a key part of motivation, I find that refreshing your motivational tools can help you a lot, at one point I printed out a picture of Beyonce and stuck it next to my door with the label "Slimspiration" - it worked! I felt like everytime I went to go and snack, it was like she was staring at me so I wouldn't do it, but switch it up, you never know what works until you try it.

11. Trying different things is a good thing...
    Whether it be food, how you exercise, unless you're a bit of a bore when it comes to food like me (Yep, I'm a picky eater... Sorry!) there is a number of different food dishes and exercises you can try, there's swimming, going to the gym, dancing, even classes, my personal favourites are Kettlebells, Boxercise and Body Pump!

12. Don't get obsessed with the scales... 
I've found that one of the worst things you can do to yourself is get obsessed with the scales, once a week is enough to keep track, as what you do during the day can fluctuate your weight, you're usually lighter on a morning and heavier at night, so don't get obsessed with how you weigh at different times of the day...

Source: GIPHY

13. Your clothes getting loose is one of the best feelings... 
 It means you're getting smaller! I'm always ecstatic when pieces of clothing are getting bigger, because it means I'm getting slimmer!

14. However, in-between sizes are a pain!Trying to replace said clothes with clothes that fit, brings in point number 7, plus the factor that you don't want to buy too many new clothes unless you lose more weight, its a struggle with both your figure and your bank account...

15. You learn to take care of yourself...
  I'm talking mainly skincare here, I've found that I do need to relax, moisturise, cleanse and tone because what's the point in losing weight to look good if I'm not going to do it all properly? there isn't one really! I cleanse and tone and take time out to relax, because this period of your life can add stress in both mental and physical forms, to me a lush bath is the perfect 'me' time and the perfect opportunity to relax.

Source: GIPHY

16. If you need support, look to your family and friends...
There will be times that you want to throw in the towel and give it all up because you're stuck or fed up, but rather than make rash decisions, make a date with one of those closest to you and talk it out, a little support and advice is sometimes all you need to get yourself back on track!

17.  There will be times you want to give it all up...
Getting to your target doesn't happen overnight, you will find that every so often, things just stop and you get stuck in a bit of a rut, of course everyone's length of weightloss journey is different and the longer it is, the more fustrated you're probably going to get, but you can do it and you will!


18. Keep track of your progress...
Keep tabs on your weightloss, it's a great key to spur you on, the worst thing you can do is guess and make up results in your head, you'll only be kidding and disappointing yourself at your next weigh in! Trust me, been there done that.


19. It's a long game...
It takes time, patience and as I mentioned earlier, motivation, it's not an easy task and it will take some time depending on your target, I suggest having small interim targets in order to break it up a bit, that way when you reach a mini target, you'll see results quicker, gain motivation and it'll push you! My current interim target is 14 stone, I'm half a stone off this so far, and I've started to think about what my next target should be!


20. Don't give up...
At the end of the day, you're doing this to better yourself, you're putting yourself out to look fantastic and help not only your physical health, but your mental health too, your self esteem, your self image, they're all important and play a key part in being healthy.
You'll thank yourself for not giving up when you reach your target and you're feeling on top of the world.

Source: GIPHY
One last thing, if you are going through this weightloss change, don't give up, well done to you for putting yourself out to improve your well being and mentality, you'll feel the best you've ever felt once you've reached your target and others will notice too, if you're struggling, keep going and carry on, you can do this!

Until next time,

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment